Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Monster Movies on TV


            I could never get enough of monsters; creepy characters and eerie entities looming in the woods, dark alleys and sinister laboratories fascinated me. I collected the models, comics, magazines, trading cards, and anything else monster I could get my claws on. Monsters were just too wonderful, and though the movies sometimes really scared me, I always wanted more.
One of the things I miss so very much were those Saturday afternoon horror movies on channel 12. They weren't limited to only Saturday afternoons, and they weren’t limited to channel 12 exclusively, it’s just that many appeared on that channel. There was nothing as perfect as sitting down cross-legged on the floor in front of the old black and white TV and fidgeting with the rabbit ears to clear as much static as possible.
On the days that life was particularly great, mom gave me a pack of four-square soda crackers to eat with the movie.
Life seemed to be as black and white as the TV. It's odd how I can remember the colors of life as they accompany the various memories I have of them. In summer, my memories are strong and vivid, breathing and full of life. In the winter they seem gray and tinged with browns and earth tones. The same holds true with remembering these old horror movies on TV. The black and white of them has seeped into my recollections painting every nuance of memory from a palette of a perpetual gray scale. 

No comments:

Post a Comment